FN Herstal has unveiled a completely new machine gun – the FN EVOLYS. It features a dual-calibre architecture, and other unique characteristics, in a package that combines the firing capabilities of a belt-fed machine gun with the ergonomics and balance of an assault rifle.
A true, ultralight machine gun…
The FN EVOLYS has been developed in two calibers, 5.56x45mm NATO (top) and 7.62x51mm NATO (bottom), and has a weight between 5.5 and 6.2 kilograms (12.13 and 13.67 lbs.) depending on the caliber . This is much lighter than other current machine guns – for comparison, the FN Minimi weighs 7.5 kg and the FN MAG weighs 11 kg. This reduced weight reduces user fatigue, enables the machine gunner to move easier across difficult terrain, and to engage targets with a high volume of fire when needed with no difficulty.
Its reduced weight and excellent balance also mean that the weapon can be fired from any position. Transitioning from one firing position to another is made easy by the design of the sling attachment interface.
Featuring assault rifle characteristics
Reliable, extremely comfortable and stable when firing – the FN EVOLYS ultralight machine gun fires like a machine gun, but handles like an assault rifle (it even bears some familial resemblance to the FN SCAR). The buttstock is adjustable in length and height – so that whatever his size, or the equipment he is wearing, the gunner can always find a comfortable shooting position.
The ambidextrous fire selector also has a semi-auto position to engage point targets as with a rifle, while the full auto position allows suppressive fire as with a machine gun. The hydraulic buffer also helps reduce recoil and provide a steady and stable rate of fire.
The latest-generation materials and technologies used on the FN EVOLYS, combined with FN Herstal’s long-standing expertise and quality control, ensures that the reduction of weight has not compromised the vital factors of reliability, user safety and long life of parts.
The FN EVOLYS was designed from the start to work with a suppressor for prolonged fire, and shows no reduction in performance when fitted with a suppressor. There is also no excessive fouling, and no debris projected towards the user, even for left-handers.
Innovative and unique architecture
Another big innovation in the FN EVOLYS is the patented lateral feed mechanism, which allowed the design to include several major improvements requested by users:
– The long one-piece top rail enables the combined mounting of various in-line optical sights such as day and night sights, or red dot sights and magnifiers for instance, without removing the iron sights.
– Easy, instinctive and fast access to all controls by left or right-handed shooters for improved handling in the field
– All actions can be done with one hand, including engaging the belt.
– Cartridges are automatically repositioned when the feed cover is closed if the belt is not correctly placed on the feed tray. This avoids a failure to feed the first round, which is a great reassurance for the user.
– The last link is automatically ejected, clearing the way for a faster and more reliable reload.
Click here to watch today’s full launch presentation stream. The FN EVOLYS ultralight machine gun will also be on display on FN Herstal booth, Belgian Pavilion, North HALL, at the DSEI international trade show, London, from September 14 to 17, 2021.